According to the weather forecast, Thursday is to be around 42c, just the ideal weather for a drive to Adelaide and beyond – not quite as good as Infinity and beyond, but this is South Australia after all. Today it is supposed to be 37c yet, according to my outdoor thermometer the mercury is nudging 41c. The dogs are curled up in their indoor beds, which are sitting on top of cool tiles. The State is on Fire Alert and a Fire Ban has been imposed for all of our area.
Just had a call from Alan’s Senior Nurse and she has serious concerns about Alan traveling up here in his present condition. He is on constant oxygen and an oxygen diffuser, which is connected up to their main system. A five hour plus journey without oxygen and in a 42c heat is a serious risk to his well being. I knew he was on oxygen but I didn’t realise he was that bad. There is to be a meeting between the medical staff and the Nursing Home Administration and they will decide how to proceed, but they are not happy, and I can’t blame them. They will let me know tomorrow what the decision is. I have already booked my hotel for the overnight stay so even if the Nursing Home say no and that it presents an unacceptable risk to his health, I’ll still go down, do some shopping and stay overnight. I thought I might go out and see him but that might not be a good idea – adding insult to injury sort of thing.
The official temperature today was 39c, which is only 3 degrees lower than my thermometer under the pergola. The reset of the week the temperature will rise to 43c or about 109f. However, there will be a cool change come in at the weekend bringing the temps. down a bit.
I’ve just had a call from Alan’s Doctor and he advised me that the medical staff have discussed the situation and have advised Alan not to travel in this heat without a oxygen bottle. The trip really does present an unacceptable risk to life and they cannot sanction it. They also have a number of other concerns, mainly the defibrillator and the adequate supply of bottled oxygen. The Hospital here would not be able to supply him with refills suitable for him. The doctor told me that if I had never had experience with a defibrillator going off it can be a scary experience. I have already booked the hotel and I would rather not cancel it since this is where I stay on my frequent trips to Adelaide. So I will go down and do some shopping. If I leave at first light I should be in Adelaide before the heat starts to bite.
Nice day so I went out and had breakfast outside. I thought I would commune with nature and besides, the dogs like toast. You know, it’s very difficult to commune with nature with all these blooming birds yittering and chattering and jumping around the trees. :o)