Adelaide, Flinders Hospital, Flinders Lodge, Home.

Monday 7th Feb.

Flinders Medical Centre

After four days in Adelaide we arrived hack home yesterday afternoon. The drive down on Thursday was uneventful – the weather fine and the roadworks, irritating and time-consuming. The convoy system in a couple of places was interesting to say the least. The weather was good and we made several stops for refreshments and “comfort” stops for Annabell. We did a small detour to Spotlight for me. I wanted some things but due to the “back to school” sales just about everything I wanted was sold out.  By the time we arrived at

Yup = can agree there.

the Lodge Annabell was starting to “weary” so once booked in and settled into our room, I  got her into bed and let her rest for the rest of the day. We started out at 6:30  and with all the delays and diversions and convoys, it was well into the afternoon before we settled into the Lodge. I had intended to  go into Norwood Shopping centre  but decided against it and let her sleep instead. I pottered about on the laptop. It had been my intention to go to the  kitchen and cook dinner  for us but in the end I decided against it and ordered dinner.  The  Restaurant was closed  and the cooked meals were “take away” which was fine. Overall she had a quiet day and slept well. On Friday were up at 05:30. I had ordered a cab for 06:15 and we went out to the Flinders Hospital. Her appointment for her operation was 07:15, so after booking her and and seeing her settled in the waiting room. I  left and  went to the Marion Shopping Centre. Since the facilities are closed down at the hospital I have  breakfast at Marion. I stayed there from about 7:40 until about 11:30 and expecting her to be ready at about 12(ish) I made my way back to the hospital. I went to the area and was told that she was still in surgery —-Odd!! As it happened I did not collect her until  after 2pm.  When we got back to the Lodge I asked her what happened and she told me that there    were

One Cockatoo

problems in surgery and she did not get taken until almost 11am – so she sat in the waiting room from 7am to 11am. Can’t say I was very impressed about that. In other words, I was making my way back to the hospital and she was still sitting in the waiting room. Anyway, that’s us for three months – our next appointment sometime in May.

I left her resting for most of Friday then went down to the guest kitchen and cooked  dinner for us. There are tables

Three Cockatoos

and chairs in there so I set the able for us – she chatted – I cooked.. LOL it’s been nearly six weeks and I haven’t managed to poison anyone – yet…….

One of the things I love about the Flinders Lodge is that there is a park across the road and that park is home to a host of Golden Crested Cockatoos. In the evening when they gather they  start flying over here to the lodge. We are not supposed to feed them and I think I did mention that last time, but it is difficult when they are so lovely and looking to be hand fed. Well, ok – I broke the rules — again…

Saturday and I  waited until she was awake and had breakfast then  caught a but to Norwood Shopping Centre and did some needed shopping. During this time the hospital telephoned so I told the nurse where I was and  asked her- nicely – if she could call back to half an hour to give me time to get back. It being Saturday and busses  far between, I  took a taxi back to the lodge and waited for flinders to call back – which they did and spoke to Annabell.. Later on in the afternoon, I walked to Mile End – a bit away – to Bunnings.  Didn’;t see anything I wanted so I walked back to the Lodge. I cooked dinner for us and we settled down for the night. I pottered around on the laptop and she watched TV.

Sunday and back up at 5:30. Packed and loaded the car sorted everything out, tidied up the room and l=closed the door, leaving the keys in the room as instructed. By 6:30 we were on our wat home. We stopped for breakfast at Wakefield, then coffee at Port Pirie. We also made a stop at Port Augusta because I wanted some things from the

Still my Happy Boy!

shops. As it happened, they too were sold out because of the “Back to School” sales. About 50 minutes after that we were being attacked by a four legged brown monster who was more than happy to see his  peepel home – particularly his “mum”. So there you are, that was our trip to the Hospital at Adelaide. It’s a long drive down and back and means  accommodation for the two of us but that’s were the

“Innovations in Cancer” centre is. It’s not too bad and I can manage and I really don’t mind the driving.

If you look at the image with the single cockatoo and look to the left you will see a maroon car with a red sticker – that’s our car. Behind the head of the bird you will see an area with a white face – that’s the Guest Kitchen.

5 thoughts on “Adelaide, Flinders Hospital, Flinders Lodge, Home.

  1. Other than the sold out issues and delays, it sounds like a mostly uneventful trip (less drama is always better). What a treat to having the birds drop in for a bit of ‘brunch.’ Cheerful feel better wishes for Annabel and a nice ear rub for your sweet boy. Bravo on developing your cooking skills. 👍🏻


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.