The Benji.

The boys came home late on Sunday night. By 11:00pm I was getting concerned that I had not heard from them. I did not want to telephone because if they  were home, John James would be in bed because he has an early rise in the morning and if I telephoned Andrew I could waken him, but more importantly I could waken Connor. I hummed and hawed for a bit but in the end my anxiety got the better of me and I grabbed the keys of the car. Annabell insisted that I take the dog with me, so I did. I drove into town  drove by John’s place and saw that his  vehicle was

Adelaide Central Post Office built 1867 – now abandoned.

parked in the driveway. I then drove by Andrew’s place and saw that the wrecked car was in the parking area and the new car parked in the drive. I drove a little further on, turned down a side street and drove home. I arrived home quite satisfied that all was well and the boys were safe. I accept the fact that some people might think I was being quite silly, but I just could not settle until I knew everyone was home. After that I went to bed and slept quite soundly.  When I was growing up a favourite saying of mothers was “If you don’t behave I’ll smack you into next year” Sadly my mother has passed long ago otherwise I’d go and see her and ask if that offer is still open.

Tuesday morning Andrew came over after he dropped Connor off at Child Care and we went for a drive in the new car. We drove the long way out of my area into the country and then through town to the foreshore. He parked the car, got out and said “Your turn now”.”Now I am very happy with my Ford. It’s ten years old and not a smart car by any means. This car was a two years old smart  car with all the latest technology – push button start. I was somewhat apprehensive, but I drove it back home whilst Andrew pointed out some of the features and the heads-up display on the windscreen – current speed and the speed limit of the area. the outside temperature and a press button cruise control as we went back the long way to my place.  All very impressive but I think it would take me a fair bit of time to get to know it all..

Wednesday was a bitterly cold morning and the coach for much of the journey to Adelaide was like an ice-box. I walked from the coach station to Rundle Mall and for some reason the place was something of a disappointment. I found  the buildings old, run down and somewhat dilapidated. I suspect my overall mood didn’t really help much.  Many of the  shops were still closed and in a number of cases people were kept standing outside  shops as the traders imposed social distance limits on the number of people allowed inside at any one time. Not that there were many people around anyway. This was especially true at the Apple Store where  Apple had erected barriers outside their store. I stopped to watch as the techs, wearing masks and gloves came out,  as one person left,  to escort another person inside – past the security guards at the main door. By this time I was needing a coffee fix but most coffee places sold coffee but no place to sit and drink it. If you had a coffee it was in a paper cup and you had to take it outside to drink  — standing up of course. The food courts at Myers were no better – food shops open but tables and chairs removed. In all, it was all very depressing and to make matters worse,  the camera shops I wanted were closed –  except Harvey Norman, and they didn’t have much. Also several buildings are no longer in use are are simply closed up and abandoned – the Central Post Office being simply one example.  It was not only the main P.O. for Adelaide, the upstairs  area housed the Telecommunications Museum.

Is it time yet??
A foggy old morning

After I arrived home, I didn’t think I was ever going to get to bed as Benji went gaga. You would have thought I had been away for a month rather than just a day – mind you it has been a while since I was away from him.  Still, it was good to be back home again after what was really a disappointing trip that only really succeeded in getting me out of town for sixteen hours, ten of which were spent travelling. On  Friday morning we did not go out for our morning walk. We were up and ready but we didn’t go out. Perhaps the photograph to your left might give you an idea  :o) However, by early afternoon it had all cleared and we took a stroll down to the beach and then drove out to the Lighthouse for a bit.

The new updated SA Gov. forms for Stage 3  have just gone on line and I have completed the figures for the church and according to  the new easing of restrictions, we can open the church. I will have to get this information out and see where we go from here.. The new easing of restrictions start on Monday 29th so that gives us time to get organised for next week. All being well we should be back next Sunday..

3 thoughts on “Interregnum

  1. As a parent myself, I completely understand your making sure all was right with your sons. Glad their trip home was, on its surface, uneventful.

    Don’t blame you one whit for not going out the next morning. Looks like the kind of day to snuggle in woolies and drink hot chocolate though I’d happily trade you with our single digit humidity and 90+ F degrees. Ear rubs to Benji.


  2. I can smile knowing that it might be winter here but summer is not all that far away and the heat is yet to come. The car is very nice – it’s not a Ford, but I still love him…….


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.